Saturday, January 12, 2008

Days 8-15 in the NICU

Well folks, a LOT has happened since we last posted. The most exciting news is that our baby girl, Roslind, is home with daddy!!!!!!!!!!

Marshall and I are still at the hospital while he continues to grow (and boy is he growing). Originally, Jermaine and I were going to continue staying at the Ronald McDonald house, but we figured the best thing for Ros is that she go home and that we not expose her to too many people or germs at this point in her precious little life. I have to admit, watching them leave the hospital was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. I am absolutely positive that she and daddy will be fine, but it's hard as a mother and wife to not be home with your entire family.
HOWEVER, Jermaine and I know that we made the right decision for our baby girl and we know that we will be together as a family again before long.

In other exciting news, Roslind left the hospital weighing 4 lbs, 12 oz and Marshall weighs.....



3lbs, 10 oz!!!!! He is growing so well and his little beautiful face is starting to fill out. I am still pumping milk and both babies will continue to receive through a bottle while they learn to breastfeed (which is something mommy and Marshall will be working on while we're still at the hospital). We're also adding a human milk fortifier to the breastmilk so they can receive even more nutrition. We're supplementing my breastmilk with formula for more fat. My milk production has doubled since my sister visited on Monday and gave me some great tips for pumping. Thanks little sis!

Marshall has also transitioned from the isolette to an open crib. No more plastic box!!!! He will be monitored for the next 3-5 days to make sure he is maintaining his body temperature, which means that we're one step closer to going home. So far, so good.

On early Friday morning Marshall's umbilical cord fell off. A few hours later, Roslind's fell off. Jermaine and I are always amazed at how alike they are, while still being so different. Yesterday, they took their hospital pics before Roslind was discharged. Can I just say that Jermaine and I both understand why every parent thinks they have the most beautiful children in the world? It's because it's true. We've never laid eyes on anyone so precious and beautiful. The hospital creates a website where family and friends can view the proofs online, but it won't be up for a few days. We will post the information here when it is available.

One of the greatest learning experiences from this whole NICU experience is how great a team Jermaine and I are. We work together quite seamlessly and are truly enjoying this blessing of parenting together.

Well, I'm sure that in my (and Jermaine's) sleep deprived stupor, we've forgotten to share something, but we'll keep updating as things progress.

So, on to a few pics.

Grandma feeding Roslind for the first time.

Is my mom glowing with pride, or what?!?

Grandma holding Marshall!!!
Proud father!!!
Look at me, I'm alert!!! The doctors keep underestimating me because of my size and think I'll be here another month. They obviously don't know my mom and dad too well (lol)! I'm blowing this popsicle stand in less than two weeks. Just wait and see!!!!
Don't I look like a sleeping angel?
Daddy, stop with that flash. It's interrupting my beauty rest!

Mommy brushing Roslind's hair. She needs to brush her own.




Daddy admiring his little prince.

Marshall the III enjoying kisses from Marshall, Jr. Or is it the other way around?





...and more kisses.


Auntie Ralanda holding Marshall after a long night's work.


Auntie Tamara feeding her nephew for the first time.







Mommy doting on her little princess.



Daddy doting on his little prince.





Prayer Requests:
Grow, grow, grow for Marshall.
Endurance and patience for mommy and daddy while we're separated as a family unit.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

April,
I am so excitied for your whole familly. Hopefully you and Marshall will get to join the rest of your family at home soon.
Give your precious babies lots of hugs and kisses. (Which by the pictures it looks like you guys have no problems doing!)
MelissaB

Bea said...

Glad you've got one of them home, but hoping to have the whole family together soon!

Bea

beagle said...

Wow, they're doing a great job of catching up . . . congratulations to all of you!

MoMo said...

They look wonderful!!! Grow Marshall, grow!!

Dramalish said...

I hope all is well and am looking forward to your next update. When you can. :)
-D.

MoMo said...

Wow...2 months already...how did that happen. Happy 2 months!! And the pictures are great!!